Figure 1: The final CAD model & deflection simulation of the blade using low-carbon steel.

Figure 2: Yield Strength vs. Density * Embodied energy (maximize strength while minimizing density & energy needed for manufacturing)

Figure 3: Final Gantt Chart detailing project timeline

Project overview

The Goal: Sweden to reach net zero greenhouse emissions by 2045

The Task: Design a clean and sustainable wind turnbine blade for use in a wind farm

The Constraints: 8.5mm < Blade deflection < 10mm

The Solution: Maximize blade efficiency while being eco-friendly

Skills Used

Soft Skills: Collaboration, Engineering Report Writing, Time Management

Technical Skills: Autodesk Inventor, ANSYS-GRANTA EduPack, Microsoft Office

Design Process

Initial Research: The team gathered information about wind turbine blade design and shared the knowledge amongst each other

Problem Framing: The team met several times to properly define the problem, then came up with the objective, function, and constraints of our blade design

MPI Selection: The team chose the two main objectives to be minimizing energy required to manufacture the blade and minimizing CO2 production

Materials Selection: The team took the most common materials that showed up for each MPI then used a weighted decision matrix to choose our final material

Deflection Simulation: The team ran deflection simulations on various thicknesses of the blade to find allow maximum deflection of the blade

Administrative Role

Role: I was the Subject Matter Expert

Responsibilities: I created and shared the collaborative working document for the team and completed the Source Materials Database

Expectations: Ensured that the team worked on the Project Report in a collaborative manner and that the sources used in the project are broad and reliable

What I learned

Collaboration: I learned how to complete engineering projects as a team. I also learned that having multiple people helped getting ideas on the table faster.

Time management: Since Design Studio times were limited and always had milestones to complete, I learned how to more efficiently get things done.

Final Thoughts

Given that this was the first ever engineering project anyone in the entire team had really undertaken, all things went very smoothly. I think we all learned something about how to work better in a team and how to approach engineering projects in general.